I used to lighten my hair on the regular and after it got damaged, dried out and totally fried, I stopped. I was getting concerned about hair loss and the amount of hair going down the drain and on the floor. Now I really concentrate on keeping my hair healthy and strong.
I’ve developed a routine that seems to work for me and I’d like to share it with you.
- Shampoo: I start with a really good shampoo, I’ve been testing and loving my new SLS free solid shampoo bar (plus no plastic bottle, yay!). It has excellent foaming properties (let’s face it, we want our shampoo to have bubbles) and it really cleans my hair without the drying effect of SLS. I also add in some Argan oil for extra conditioning and Marshmallow Root powder to promote new hair growth.
- Conditioner: I follow with my reconstructive hair conditioner, which also contains some extra botanicals to keep your hair healthy and strong. I leave it on for about 3-4 minutes, longer if I’m shaving my legs. Then rinse.
- Pat Dry: Use your towel to pat your hair dry, don’t rub or pull. If you have longer hair, you can gently squeeze out excess moisture.
- Conditioning Detangling Spray: I then spray on my new conditioning detangling spray (I’ve been testing it for about 4 months, it’s amazing and you can get it in all my fragrances).
- Bamboo Comb: Gently comb your hair with a wide tooth sandalwood comb. The wide tooth design will not pull or break your hair and it’s plastic-free and biodegradable. If you use the detangling spray before combing, you will not have any snarls, therefore decreasing hair breakage.
- Hair Gel (optional): I have thin, frizzy, mind of its own hair, so applying a bit of conditioning hair gel on wet hair helps me to style and shape it. I have a new one that I’ve been testing for about 4 months which I love.
- Blow Dry (optional): I only blow dry when I have an event to go to, I usually just let it air dry. I try to use the lowest heat setting, but if I’m in a hurry, I’ll need to use the higher heat. The conditioning detangler spray and conditioning hair gel helps protect my hair if I need to do this. I do use a round bristle brush to help with styling.
- Hairspray (optional): Once again, my hair has a mind of its own and tons of cowlicks, I use the Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz. It has no sulfates, parabens and it’s non-aerosol, vegan and cruelty-free. TIP: It has a light scent, so I open the bottle and put in a few drops of my favorite perfume oil.
When I wake up to crazy bed head every single morning, I use a gentle to my hair bamboo bristle brush to get it under control and get a little scalp massage.
Finally, I love that I can scent all the above products with my favorite perfume oil. It will blend with the perfume I put on my skin for the day. And my hair smells amazing.